How to Create a Homegroup Windows 7
Let us take a look at how to create a homegroup for Windows 7, so that you
can share files, documents, photos, music, videos and printers with other Windows users fast and easy. This feature is the easist way to
share files between 2 or more Windows computers on your home network.
Virtually within minutes you will be all set up and ready to
Sharing files across your home network has never been easier by using the
homegroup feature in Windows 7. It is simple....YES! What you will need
is a computer running Windows 7 Home Premium
version or above to create the homegroup. All Windows 7 computers
will be able to join the homegroup reguardless of the Windows 7 version.
Here are the simple steps:
1) Click on your Start Menu and click on Control Panel. You can also type
"homegroup" in the Start Menu's search box if you want.
2) In the Control Panel window, go to Network and Internet
section and click "Choose homegroup and Sharing Options" when you are viewing the Control
Panel in "Category" view.
Note: You can also find the Choose homegroup and sharing options in Network and Sharing
Center window when you are viewing the Control Panel in "Large or Small Icon" view.
3) If you have never created a homegroup before, you will see
this window "Share with other home computers running Windows 7". Click "Create a homegroup button".
Here are 3 things to Make Note of:
a) If a homegroup
already exists on your home network, you'll be prompted
to join it instead of being asked to creat a new one.
b) If your network location type is set to "Public" you will be prompted to
change your location to "Home". Only location type "Home" will work with the creation of a
"Homegroup". In this case a new window will popup like this one shown
below here. If you wish to continue to create a "Homegroup" you will need to change your location by clicking on
"What is a network location?" before continuing with this tutorial.
c) Click on "Home Network". At this point you will be prompted to create a homegroup too.
4) If you also want to also share your documents on your home network be sure to place a check mark in
the box next to "Documents". Choose the sharing options and click "Next".
5) In few moments (it may take a minute or so) your system will create your
6) After your homegroup has been created, the system will give you a password that you need to give out to other
computer users on your home network, who you want to join your homegroup. Write it down, keep it in a
safe place and share it with those people and computers who will be joining your homegroup.
7) One last thing: Be sure to remember to click on "Finish" after writing down the password.